End the mistreatment of Palestinian children in Israeli military detention
We, the undersigned, support an end to the mistreatment of Palestinian children under Israeli military detention and for the rights of Palestinian children to be upheld in accordance with international law.
We call upon the British government to make a public statement that it will take immediate, effective and meaningful action-including through international bodies-to ensure all the following requirements are implemented by the Israeli government without delay:
1. Children must not be prosecuted in military courts that lack basic and fundamental due process guarantees;
2. Detention must only be used as a measure of last resort;
3. Children must not be arrested at night;
4. Children must not be subjected to any form of physical violence;
5. Children must have access to legal representation and parents prior to and during interrogations;
6. All interrogations of children must be audio-visually recorded;
7. Any statement made as a result of torture or ill-treatment must be excluded as evidence in any proceeding; and
8. All credible allegations of torture and ill-treatment must be thoroughly and impartially investigated in accordance with international standards, and perpetrators brought promptly to justice.
[Note these requirements are those set out by Defense for Children International Palestine -a national section of Defense for Children International (DCI) - and can be found at http://www.dci-palestine.org/issues_military_detention ]
See the PSC factsheet on Palestinian Child Prisoners for more information.